5 Axis CNC Machining Centers
5-axis machining entails using a CNC machining center to move a stationary part or cutting tool along five different axes simultaneously. This enables the machining of very complex parts not possible using 3 or 4 axis machining. Parts required in the Aerospace, Medical and Defense industries are common applications where 5-axis machining is required. Single-setup machining (sometimes referred to as “Done-in-One”) to reduce lead time and increase efficiency helped contribute to the adoption of 5-axis machining. The ability to avoid collision with the tool holder utilizing these axes, not only allows access to more complex geometry, but also helps prolong tool life by tilting the cutting tool or the table.
The complexity of the part will commonly determine how many axes are needed. 5-axis machining is typically a good fit for highly complex parts which would normally require multiple extensive operations on a 3-axis machine. Ask MTM today what process will suit your project with a Quote Request today.
What are the benefits of 5 axis CNC machining?
- Machine complex shapes in a single setup for increased productivity. With 5 axis (3 + 2), the machine executes a 3 axis milling program with the cutting tool locked in a tilted position using its two rotational axes. The process, also known as 5 axis positional machining, relies on the fourth and fifth axes to orient the cutting tool in a fixed position rather than manipulate it constantly during the machining process.
- Save time and money with less fixture cost and preparation.
- Boost throughput while reducing lead times.
- Higher part accuracy because the workpiece does not move across multiple workstations.
- Ability to use shorter cutting tools for higher cutting speeds and less tool vibrations.
- Achieve superior surface finishes and overall better part quality.
Request a Quote today for more information to see if 5-axis machining is the best solution for your current or upcoming project and one of our experienced engineers will get back to you right away.